Thursday, October 20, 2011

A comforting thought

Sometimes a citation in the Christian Science Bible Lesson will prove to be one which stays in my thought for days.  This week it was the very first one:
The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me:... (from Psalm 138:8)
As I read this on Monday morning, it was just what I needed for this week.  A work assignment the previous week required me to release a software update that was guaranteed to pose challenges, no matter how must testing could be performed.  Worse yet, I had scheduled a trip out of town on the day of release, and would not be back until Monday.

When I checked my email on Friday afternoon, the reports were disheartening.  However, the team rallied and did a great job of logging reports of issues, finding and applying fixes.  The verse above reassured me that, no matter what the appearance, God's goodness cannot be eclipsed by a few software bugs.  I went into my day in peace instead of in the anxiety which has plagued me of late.  And so it proved:  relationships with co-workers were normal.

In my life I've had many examples of the Lord perfecting the situations that concern me.  The word "concern" in that sentence could mean one of two things:  about me, or worry me.  In either case, God's care has been evident during difficult times.

As one formed in the image or likeness of God, I can be sure of approaching perfection only when I faithfully and consistently reflect God.  When I'm distracted or deluded by not-God thoughts, the reflection becomes blurry at best, and I'm subject to the consequences of those mistakes:  pain, sorrow, or confusion.  It is a great comfort to know that the Lord will perfect all that I know so long as I keep my gaze on Him, looking for His reflection in all that I encounter.

This week has provent to be markedly better than those before it.  It's the Lord's week, and He is perfecting it and allowing me to reflect His love and care and intelligence along the way.

No comments: